Tuesday, June 28, 2011

CSA 2011: Week 7


Still nothing to pick... which is OK with me!  It's a lot easier to just run down and collect your produce from the bin.

This week, we're taking most of this down the shore.  I don't have any big plans for this stuff, just omelets and grilled pizza!






This was our first major choice group of the season... the four items to choose from were basil, cabbage, scallions, and beets.  We have easy access to basil, and my mom still has last week's beets, so we ruled those out.  We ended up choosing three cabbages and one bunch of scallions, since cabbage tends to last while scallions don't hold up as well.

The problem I have with some of the quantities given is that you can't do too much with a small quantity of some of these items.  The broccoli, in my opinion, should have been included in a choice group - it's so small, even the 2 heads we are entitled to won't yield much.  You can't use this in a recipe, or you have to be very creative with it.

On the other hand, the problem I have with the choice groups is that sometimes you want one of everything, and you're going to have the same problem that there's not enough to do anything with it.  So then you're forced to choose one or two things.  It's stressful!

I took a few extra photos today.  I used the camera on my phone, so they're not exactly beautiful photos, but I like them!  The header photo is the "Summer Squash" selection - can you see how GIANT the ones on the left are?  They have to be like two feet long.  I was so excited about this!  The one below are some bins below the area where the choice groups are located.

No comments:

Post a Comment