Monday, August 17, 2009

Roasted Red Peppers


I found some red bell peppers sitting in my fridge and I couldn't remember what I intended to use them for. I decided to extend their life a little by roasting them. I followed the directions from Mark Bittman in Food Matters just because that was the book I picked up first. It turns out I had it bookmarked anyway!

This process takes a long time but not time that you are actually doing something. The peppers were in the oven for an hour, so I watched my soap opera and some stuff on Food Network while folding laundry. When they came out, I wrapped them up in foil as instructed and went out to dinner. When I came back I finished it up by basically extracting the flesh of the pepper. It was pretty easy and you can just run the peppers under water to get the pesky seeds off.

According to the recipe, these should keep for a few days in the fridge, and I am storing them in olive oil so they should actually keep even longer. I wanted to post a picture of the finished product, but they just look like weird salmon fillets in the pictures. So the picture is kind of the in-between of me peeling the skin and taking out the seeds.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with these yet. I might try making a sandwich with them, or maybe I will make roasted red pepper hummus. Or a sauce. Hmm... the possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment