Monday, August 24, 2009

Red Pesto Ravioli


I used my goat cheese raviolis to make the Red Pesto Ravioli from 101 Cookbooks. The red pesto is made with sun-dried tomatoes, fresh thyme, and walnuts. I have had this recipe bookmarked to make for a while, but since I was making raviolis I decided it would be a good idea to serve them this way.

This recipe was delicious. At first I wasn't sure how it would be, especially with my weird homemade raviolis, but it turned out to be so good. The bed of spinach tossed with olive oil and just a little salt was a perfect accompaniment to the sun-dried tomato pesto. I almost didn't bother with roasting the cherry tomatoes (I actually used grape tomatoes, but whatever - they were the perfect tiny size) but I am incredibly glad that I did. They were so sweet and perfect as another topping on the ravioli. I think I will definitely be using oven-roasted tomatoes more because they were just so incredibly good. I am glad to have some left over because I would love to try them in a salad, on a panini... endless possibilities.

Lucky for me, I have plenty of everything left over, including the raviolis (if they survive the night in the fridge and reheat nicely tomorrow), to make this again tomorrow. It was a really filling dinner and now that everything is already done I think it would be extremely easy to throw together. If I didn't have everything left over I obviously wouldn't make this again right away, but I will definitely return to it another time - probably with store-bought raviolis, though. Without making your own raviolis, this recipe is pretty easy and comes together in no time - just remember to get the oven going with the cherry tomatoes first. It might be really good with regular pasta, too - something curly or hollow would be great. This time, I used sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil and already seasoned, but I think they worked just fine. I might try this again with plainer sun-dried tomatoes. I'm not sure how exactly the flavor would differ, but I think it would be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment