Friday, August 7, 2009

Grilled Veggie Skewers


While I am down the shore I like to have grilled food since I don't have a (real) grill at home. I was cooking for only myself, using only what happened to be around, and I ended up making these grilled veggie skewers.

Recipe:
1 small zucchini
1/2 onion
1 baby eggplant
6-8 mushrooms
Italian dressing

Directions: Soak skewers so they don't catch on fire. Cut up zucchini and eggplant into pieces that can fit on a skewer without breaking. Cut onion layers into square-ish pieces. Skewer everything in whatever order you feel like. Put in a dish and cover with Italian dressing (try to get some on everything).

Pretty self explanatory, and you can use whatever veggies you like. I don't love zucchini, but we have so much. I don't know when is the last time I had eggplant, and I don't think I've ever had these little ones.

I made a box of garlic & herb long grain and wild rice to go with this. I like this kind of thing because you just toss it in the pot and leave it alone. But don't forget to check it every few minutes, because for some reason mine cooked very fast today, even though I turned it down almost all the way. I also started to get a little discouraged when my veggies didn't seem to be cooking. I was under the impression that they would cook really quickly on the grill. But when I finally just left them alone for a little while, they cooked very nicely. I think the eggplant pieces could have been a little smaller though. I was very surprised that I liked the zucchini and eggplant much more than I thought I would. Since they are in season I will have to make some more stuff with them.

This stuff just about fit on 4 skewers and with the rice it was definitely enough for one person for dinner. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment