Wednesday, August 17, 2011

CSA 2011: Week 14


This week, I froze corn off the cob, okra, green beans, and zucchini.  I roasted cherry tomatoes in the oven and packed them in oil which should hold them in the fridge for a few weeks.


The eggplants are piling up and I had to use them up, so I made a double batch of my favorite eggplant couscous salad which I've written about before and made a few times this year already.  (In case you click on the recipe link... I leave out the raisins and the chickpeas.)  That salad used a few red onions from the market plus cilantro which could have been from either.  In addition to that, I made a version of fattoush without the pita, a tasty and refreshing salad.  I supplemented the CSA tomatoes and bell peppers with a cucumber from the market, and again, I can't be sure where exactly my parsley and cilantro came from.  Last weekend I had shredded a CSA cabbage to use on tacos, and I used up more of it on the White Beans & Cabbage recipe from Super Natural Every Day, along with a potato from the CSA and an onion from the market.  I made the Spiced Eggplant Stew from Tender, which helped me to make a big dent in the CSA tomatoes, use up a few more eggplants, plus some onion, garlic, cilantro and mint, and even a hot red chile that I froze last year.  Then I made more pickles.  I had my mom and my sister pick up a few cucumbers, and I used some diced red onions and garlic to flavor the pickles.  And finally... I used up some yellow zucchini (that I'm honestly surprised lasted as long as they did) in a lasagna - I only had half a box of lasagna noodles, so I used them for the top and bottom layers, using zucchini for the middle.  It worked out fantastic!  Oh, and I used some local ricotta in that one too.  Overall I feel it was a pretty good week.

This week was an unusual one for the CSA.  I was working, so I missed the CSA trip for the first time EVER.  Luckily for me, it was raining, and my mom decided to do the PYO the next day.  Coincidentally, they decided to give me that day off, since I had worked on my day off on Tuesday, so I got to go to do the PYO!  I was so happy.

Here's what we got from the farm...


The 6 green (ick) peppers were put in the donation bin.


Mom took two bunches of dill.  I'll give her some basil from my porch tomorrow.




My mom sent me this note along with the photo: "A nice older man told me he prefers  the  striped purple/ white ones so I got you one of those and 3 purple.  He slices them very thin, sautes them and eats it with yogurt mixed with garlic."


Tomatoes, not too exciting this week, but we're still working on last week's anyway...

And finally, there was a watermelon.  A big fat striped watermelon.  We haven't cut into it yet, but I remember reading on the sign that the striped ones are yellow inside.


As I mentioned previously, we did our PYO on Wednesday this week.  We skipped the okra this week, but tackled the rest quickly with our team of FOUR farm workers: me, mom, Haley and her friend.  We split up - mom did sunflowers and flowers and mint, I got eggplant, ground cherries and herbs, Haley and her friend got string beans and raspberries.  (Unfortunately I mis-remembered the board, despite having the photo, and we were actually entitled to twice as many string beans as we picked.)  We met up at the end for sauce tomatoes and were on our way fairly quickly.  I can't even imagine how long we would have been there without all that help.  It was nice to be outside... I know I go every week, plus I'm outside at the beach on the weekends, but it makes me feel better when I'm stuck in an office for 9 hours a day to know that I'll get some fresh air eventually.

And finally... here are a few flower pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment