Wednesday, August 24, 2011

CSA 2011: Week 15


I'm going to try to be quick this week.  I'm so tired!

This week I made cherry tomato bruschetta with cherry tomatoes, basil, and garlic, which I ate piled atop the crostini from Witherspoon Bread Company.  When I bought these, I picked up a bottle of their focaccia spice.  YUM.  I also made a cucumber salad with dill.  I made dill butter to go with the rye soda bread, using up some chives in the process.  The main event this week was a vegetable chili.  Ready for it?  I used up some old carrots, garlic, onion, red-enough bell peppers, serranos from the freezer, zucchini and yellow squash that were reaching the end of their lifespan, corn I bought from the market just for this, and some of the glut of tomatoes.  I probably made a few other things, but if so, they're totally escaping me at the moment.

This week, Haley came to the farm with us.  Photo credits go out to her - she is awesome!

 I tried to pick up a few different shapes and sizes of eggplant, but most of the ones available were purple anyway.  I'll post a picture soon of the eggplant collection in my vegetable drawer - we got 4 eggplants from the PYO this week.

It's a good thing Haley was there, because I almost walked away with only one watermelon.  So glad we got two this week!  Totally random but we got to try a different variety and we still got the yellow kind again which was so tasty last week!

 I've got to find a way to use this up this week...

 I got 3 regular zucchini and one big weirdo one - the super long ones that I've gotten once or twice before.  I meant to leave one regular one with my mom but somehow it never escaped my cooler...

 So funny, I must not have read the sign - I thought it was 4.  I found 3 that were turning to yellow, and the 4th I took was a bright green.

 This garlic has been really good, glad we're still getting it!

 I thought this said 2 pieces.  Again, can't express how glad I am that Haley was there.  I got one monster onion and two normal size ones.

 I think I might roast these to make baby sun dried tomatoes.

 Tomatoes still going strong!

The heirlooms have just begun.  I want to make a focaccia topped with them.

I don't have a picture of the PYO board (hi mom, can you please send it to me?) but I'll do my best to recall: I picked some lemongrass, 4 quarts of string beans, 2 quarts of sauce tomatoes, 4 international eggplants, 4 tiny hot peppers (the variety is called "twilight"), 1/2 pint ground cherries.  We skipped the 2 quarts okra and the 1/2 pint blackberries/raspberries.  Mom got 12 of the 24 sunflowers we were entitled to because she read the board wrong and didn't feel like going to get more.  She also picked a nice bunch of regular flowers.  We were entitled to 80 stems, which is too many to count, so we just fill up the bucket - I doubt it could hold more than 80.  I think that's it - I'll try to update with the PYO board picture.

Haley took some more nice pictures while we were at the farm.  Some came out blurry but here are a few good ones...


No comments:

Post a Comment