Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Daily Plate

I have been tracking my calories for the past few days - not something I planned to do long term, but I wanted to get a better idea of what I was eating, as I suspected it was too much. (I was right!)

Overall, I try to eat a lot of fruit, vegetables and whole grains. When I tracked my calories, I discovered that I wasn't eating a lot of any of those things. Whole grain flours, yes - in the form of high-calorie muffins and scones. One or two pieces of fruit a day, and maybe two cups of vegetables.

I thought I would find that I wasn't eating enough protein, but I was surprised to find otherwise. However, I did eat a little more meat (chicken) this week than I think I normally do. Surprisingly though, a little yogurt has a lot of protein, and there is also protein in other places you wouldn't really expect it - plus my Silk soymilk, which I use in my coffee, is high in protein as well.

The main thing I learned from my little experiment is that I eat too much of just about everything. Time to practice portion control! But I am done keeping track of my calories. It's all about making good choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment