Saturday, April 17, 2010

Multigrain Waffles


I just made the most delicious waffles.

I literally just made them.  I just finished the final waffle.  I ate two as I cooked.  Ken had the first two since he was rushing out the door and he said he wants to eat them every day.

I'm sure I have mentioned my excitement when there is a new blog post on 101 Cookbooks.  This one totally had me right from the picture (and title).  I decided last night that I would make it this morning for breakfast.

In addition to being delicious, it was easy.  (Giving yourself or your family a real home-cooked breakfast shouldn't be hard.)  Just mix the wet & dry ingredients separately, then add the wet to the dry and voila, waffle batter.


I have two favorite things about this recipe.  One is the buttermilk-soaked poppy seeds.  Heidi suggests that if you forget this step, you can just toss them in when you start to make the wet mix, but I think it was an important part of the recipe.  Soaking the poppy seeds prevented them from offering a distracting crunch and getting stuck in your teeth.  My second favorite thing is the combination of flours.  The recipe calls for barley, oat and rye flours, all whole grain flours, but they don't have that heaviness that whole wheat has.  I like to experiment with whole grain flours, but this recipe has given me more confidence to try some of these flours, especially the barley flour, in other recipes.


The recipe made quite a few waffles.  For my dinky little waffle maker, it made 15.  (I would like to see if I can find a more advanced yet affordable waffle maker to replace it, but for now it will do.)  Between the two of us we only ate 4, as normal people should, so the rest will be moving to their new temporary home in my freezer.  This way we can enjoy delicious waffles on any day of the week.

2 comments:

  1. looks yummy.
    was it time consumimg?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! It was actually a really quick easy recipe. I did use my scale to measure the flour by weight which is much easier, faster and more accurate than cup measurements.

    ReplyDelete