Wednesday, October 26, 2011

CSA 2011: Week 24


The season is winding down now.  Last year at this time we had a TON of produce, but since the hurricane at the end of the summer our share hasn't been as plentiful.  (Still more than enough food for us, though.)


This week we picked 2 quarts of string beans, 4 quarts of sauce tomatoes, and a bunch of parsley.  Yes, we skipped everything else.  I took the parsley.  Mom always keeps the sauce tomatoes until they are ripened, and then they come home with me.


We each took a pound of the delicious lettuce mix.


I took this "spicy mix," which was basically like last week's braising mix, except with way better vegetation in it.  I particularly like the little round leaves that remind me very much of a purple baby bok choy.  (They might even BE that. Who knows? I do wish they would tell us...)  I stir-fried this with garlic and ginger and red pepper flakes.  Yum!


I took home the arugula.


I let mom have the spinach :)


The garlic had a sign (you can see the edge of it on the right) that said that this was garlic they had saved as seed garlic, but it didn't meet their quality standards for seed garlic.  Supposedly it is still tasty, but I had a hard time finding any big heads that weren't rotted out.  I got two halves of full size heads and two tiny heads.


Mom took turnips, because she still has radishes.  These were the only two choices.


Mom kept the lettuce.


I got 6 hot peppers that may be cherry peppers.  They're round and dark green.  I wonder where they pick these peppers from because they look like the same varieties as the PYO ones, but I don't know if that's where they take them from or what.


Can't believe the tomatoes are still coming!  Mom kept them this week.  I still have a bunch.

And finally...

...the broccoli.  Ah, the broccoli.  The broccoli which I realized we didn't take when we were already almost home and made my mom turn around to go get for me, because I love broccoli.  I ate one head with some ravioli for lunch.  I think I might stir fry the other one tomorrow with some garlic and ginger and have it with rice.  Yum.  So worth the extra time.

Our CSA pickups ended in the first week of November last year.  Let's see how it goes this year.  The last date has not been announced, but like the spring, they typically do it within about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment