Wednesday, October 19, 2011

CSA 2011: Week 23


This photo above is the salad we had for lunch after we got home from the farm.  This salad is 100% local!  A mix of baby salad greens, carrots, radishes, and tomatoes.  I made my classic balsamic (sadly un-local) and we had some leftover butternut squash soup (the butternut squash came from the farm and the apples probably came from Terhune Orchards in Princeton).  Delicious and filling!

Usually I'm pretty good about keeping a list of what I make during the week.  I do it so that I can share it in this post and look back on what I made with our CSA share.  Sometimes I forget, though, and this is one of those weeks.  So let me just try to remember.

Thursday I made a Fire-Roasted Tomato Stew with Eggplant, Bulgur, and Chickpeas.  (What a mouthful!)  This used up our last two eggplants from the farm.  I struggled with the eggplants this year - I just couldn't keep up with them.  But now I know that, so I can prepare better for next year.  Anyway, I also canned some tomatillo sauce, though I can't remember now whether I did it this week or last week.  Either way, I don't think I've mentioned it yet.  I just now made some more of the chile verde base, which, even though I haven't made the actual chile verde yet, I think will be a hit.  So for this I used tomatillos, finishing up last week's, and two jalapenos and two serranos, and last week's cilantro which was still in near-perfect condition.  If we had any CSA garlic left this could've been all local!  Over the weekend we pickled some hot peppers - one batch was halved jalapenos pickled with honey, allspice, and peppercorns, and the other was a plainer brine with a bit of sugar - for this we sliced a bunch of miscellaneous hot peppers into rounds and threw some garlic in there for good measure.  I'm thinking I'll do this again this week, probably another small-batch simple brine.  I also want to dry a few of the hot peppers we picked today.  I keep getting off topic... back to the past week... We had tacos again, unsurprisingly, so we used lettuce and cherry tomatoes for this.  Monday I used my brand-new birthday slow cooker to make a black bean and mushroom chili.  The mushrooms were from the Princeton market.  I threw a red bell pepper in there just because I felt like it, and I was relieved when I saw tomatillos on the ingredient list (which I naturally didn't look at until the last minute) both because I had them in the fridge and because I had a more interesting use for them.

This week...

We got a great big bag of tomatillos, which I plan to can whole since my freezer is so stuffed.  I'm hoping to also pickle some more hot peppers, and dry some as well.  I've already used some in the chile verde base.  I took home a few of the string beans, but we gave the rest to our cleaning lady.  That's it!  PYO is winding down for the season.


I'm surprised, but happy, to see that tomatoes are sticking around for a little longer.  Mom kept most of them but gave me a few.


I got a few funny shaped hot peppers - I think they're called "squash" or something like that.


We got 3 heads of deer tongue lettuce and one red leaf (not the bitter curly kind).  I took the red one and one deer tongue as well.


Yum... arugula.  (I took this, of course.)


This braising mix is an interesting combination of greens that are designed to be stir-fried.  In the past, I didn't know what to do with this, but I came across a Deborah Madison recipe, which is perfect for this month (and so I took this too).


I grabbed a few peppers that MIGHT turn red... we'll see. (I took these.)


This is the delicious mix of baby lettuce leaves that is featured in the header photo.  (Mom kept this! And she will eat it all!)

And finally, this week's choice group.  Four pieces, five choices.  Radishes, Chinese (Napa) cabbage, Bok Choy, Hakurei Turnips, Cauliflower.  Cauliflower has a limit of one.  So we grabbed a cauliflower first, then two bunches of radishes and a Chinese cabbage.



No comments:

Post a Comment