Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pumpkin Muffins


I saw someone mention on their blog an article they saw in Whole Living magazine about mise en place and preparing some components for the week, to be used to make complete meals quickly and easily.  I headed over to the site and, unable to find the article, got extremely distracted by the recipes.  They're a Martha Stewart magazine, so they've got their site set up the same way as hers - slideshows with pretty pictures group together recipes by a theme.  I believe I found the Pumpkin Muffins in a "fall recipes" grouping.  Either way, I knew I had some canned pumpkin in the freezer, left over from a delicious protein bar recipe from Georgie's book, so I decided these would make a nice weekend breakfast.

I should note that while this recipe claims to make 12 muffins, it does not mention until the instructions that it makes 12 JUMBO muffins, so I ended up with 24 muffins.  I gave away several to my mom and sister, and to my coworkers.  I ended up freezing a surprisingly small number of them.  But they're definitely worth making again.  They're delicious and cakey, a fantastic fall treat.  Instead of the whole wheat flour, I used spelt, and a bit more than called for (2 cups to 1 of all-purpose).  I might toast the walnuts next time (or not, I'm lazy).  My older muffin tin produced much more rounded and aesthetically pleasing muffins - I believe my newer one has a bit smaller capacity.  Anyway, these are a great way to welcome fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment