Tuesday, October 11, 2011

CSA 2011: Week 22

I'm having a hard time remembering what I've made over the past week.  Notable standouts were a White Bean and Kale Minestra, which I will post about soon.  It used kale and garlic from the CSA, and carrot from the market.  We also made one of my favorites, Lemon Pepper Shrimp - I put shredded kale in the pot with the orzo instead of our usual sauteed broccoli, and this also used up the last of our garlic from the CSA.  I also canned a sauce made with tomatillos, which I'll also try to write about eventually.  Tonight, we had sausage along with today's freshly picked string beans, along with some oven-baked fries made of a huge sweet potato I got from the market a few weeks ago.

Today's PYO...


The tomatillos were plentiful but most of them are not ready.  I picked into a plastic bag but I'd say it's roughly a quart or less.  The sauce tomatoes were a little tough to find.  Cherry tomatoes are mostly a bright, pretty orange.  Hot peppers took me a long time - 50 is a lot! - but I got about 20 jalapenos, 5 serranos, 8 or 9 reddish peppers, a mild Sandia pepper, and a bunch of roundish/oval shaped ones.  I can't figure out what they are but I think I will pickle them along with the jalapenos.  We skipped flowers, eggplant, okra, herbs (except for parsley), and ground cherries.

I also got 4 jalapenos from the farm stand...


2 light red and 2 butter lettuce or Bibb lettuce or something... Mom kept most of this...


Carrots... Mom kept most of these...



Peppers... all green, so I tossed them in the donation bin...


I picked 2 bunches of cilantro and no parsley, since we got PYO parsley...


The main choice group this week was beets, cabbage, turnips, bok choy, radishes.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I believe the cabbage may have been gone when we returned to the farm stand after our PYO.  I took two bok choy and my mom took two radishes.



Mom forgot to snap a photo, but we also got 4 pounds of tomatoes.  They are very underripe at the moment, which is good because I have a few other things to deal with while I wait for them (specifically pickling these peppers and doing something with the bok choy).  I've also got tons of ripe sauce tomatoes needing to be used - I'm hoping to can these as plain crushed tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment