Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mesquite Chocolate Chip Cookies


I don't make cookies often.  Even when I want to, it's usually more of a project than I care to take on.  When I do make cookies, I make oatmeal cookies, and I use the recipe from Mark Bittman's book Food Matters, because they're not very sweet but they are very chewy and that's the way I like them.

As I've mentioned, Heidi's new book is coming out, and while I'm waiting so patiently for it, I've been working through some of the recipes in her previous book.  I got a bit of mesquite flour for Christmas with these cookies in mind, so I finally went ahead and made them.

These cookies are amazing.  Really, they are.  They are entirely whole wheat, they have chocolate in them, they have oats in them(!), and I am satisfied by only one or two of them.  Everyone who has tried them so far says they are delicious.

As I said, I don't make cookies very often, and I was easily satisfied by a small number of these, so I scooped most of the dough into balls in freezer bags and froze them to bake another time.  That way, it's easy to do 4 or 8 at a time.  I made them for just us a few times after dinner, for some friends who came for lunch, and to bring to a family gathering, and I still have a few left.  These are not something you want to eat every day, but with this freezer setup, you can eat them ANY day!

No comments:

Post a Comment