Friday, March 25, 2011

Amaranth Porridge


I've got a stockpile of grains in my fridge that could probably replant Earth after the apocalypse.  It's a little bit ridiculous, especially considering some of them are never used, so I'm always on the lookout for super easy ways to integrate them into my everyday cooking and eating.  I saw a recipe for Amaranth Porridge on the NY Times Recipes for Health section and I finally got around to trying it out.  It's very simple: cook the amaranth with water on the stove, then add a splash of milk and some brown sugar.  I liked that it had a bit of a crunch to it.  I added a little more sugar than I like, but it was still tasty.

My favorite part, though, is the little curly tails.  Amaranth pops out little tails when it cooks, just like quinoa.  You can see them in the picture up above.  They're just too cute!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment