Monday, September 5, 2011

Spelt Focaccia


It's heirloom tomato season.  This makes me think of flat, bready things with cooked tomatoes on top.  Last year I made a tart, this year I had my heart set on Focaccia.  Once I'd made up my mind, I was immediately set on the recipe from Good to the Grain, to keep it a bit healthier with the whole grains added in.  The recipe uses half spelt flour and half all-purpose flour.  Other than that, all you need is kosher salt, yeast, water, a pinch of sugar, and a lot of olive oil.


I ended up making this down the shore because that's where I was.  I followed the recipe as-is, but I split the dough into two (one's a bit smaller than the other) and baked a shredded Parmesan-like cheese from the farmers' market on top of one.  On the other, I layered slices of heirloom tomatoes - a golden variety and a bumpy, red, visually interesting one.  The focaccia was nearly gone within just a few minutes, and we went through more than one dish of the focaccia dipping oil that I made by mixing olive oil with a bit of focaccia seasoning from Witherspoon Bread Company.


Haley took the photo of the jar of focaccia spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment