Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Heirloom Tomato and Mozzarella Tart


I had a delicious acorn squash and sausage tart at a friend's house, from a book called Cooking from the Farmers' Market, a Williams-Sonoma cookbook.  I literally read it cover to cover while we sat at their house waiting for dinner to be ready, and later I asked her to bring it over so I could take down some recipes to try.  The book is organized by types of fruits/vegetables, so it's perfect for the person who doesn't know what to do with, say, 10 eggplants.  There are at least 3 recipes for each thing.  I've got a glut of tomatoes right now, so the Rustic Tomato and Mozzarella Tart sounded perfect to me - not to mention it was on puff pastry, like the acorn squash and sausage tart, which is, of course, delicious.

I was a little skeptical as I assembled this tart.  It looked kind of like a white pizza, but on puff pastry.  It is full of cheese and other fats.  But oh boy, was it delicious.  I think the key here is the garlic butter you spread on the puff pastry sheets before layering the cheese and tomatoes on top.  The basil slivers really brightened it up.  I used two stripey red and yellow heirloom tomatoes, which made for a beautiful presentation.

Not only would I like to make this again, but it inspired me to try more with puff pastry as well as to make pizza.  I think this could be great topped with different kinds of vegetables.

1 comment: