Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Melon Granita


While cutting a watermelon, I realized that there was no way it would all fit in my fridge.  I did a quick Google search to see if there was ANY way I could somehow store it in the freezer instead - not necessarily in fresh-watermelon form, but any way to preserve it a little rather than have to eat it all at once.  I came across a recipe for watermelon granita - quick and easy.  I made it before I even finished cutting up the watermelon.

Later, I did a twist on it with half watermelon, half cantaloupe.  In both cases I modified the recipe as follows.

Melon Granita

4 cups melon cubes (all watermelon, 1/2 watermelon 1/2 cantaloupe, get creative)
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup agave nectar (adjust based on your melon's natural sweetness and your sweet tooth. sub sugar if you want.)

Remove seeds from melon if applicable.  Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.  Pour into a shallow dish, cover and freeze.  Every hour, take the dish out and scrape the frozen parts with a fork - you're aiming for a shaved ice texture.  Work quickly so it doesn't melt.  When you take it out and it's all still flaked from the last time and there's nothing left to scrape, you can transfer it to another container and return to the freezer.

This is a great make-ahead dessert item you can serve for guests.  I imagine it would be nice served in a martini glass and garnished with mint leaves.

One twist I am tempted to try is a mojito version - adding mint and rum, though you still want it to freeze so the amount of rum would have to be small.  Worst case scenario, though, you have a very cold mojito!

The basic recipe would be good with other fruits as well, though I would adjust the other ingredients to be appropriate to the type of fruit you're using.  This is a good way to freeze fruits that would otherwise not freeze well.

No comments:

Post a Comment