Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hummingbird Cupcakes (at home!)

Since Andrea and I enjoyed the Hummingbird Cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery when we were in NYC, I decided to make them for her birthday!  I managed to find the recipe through the Amazon "look inside this book" feature and copied it down to make the cupcakes and the cream cheese frosting.

They came out delicious!  (Sorry I don't have any photos!  They were gobbled up too quickly!)  I used less sugar (4 cups instead of 5) in the frosting because we felt it was sweet enough already.  I also didn't have quite enough vegetable oil for the batter, so I topped it off with applesauce.  Next time I'll try to substitute even more to cut down on the calories.  The bits of pineapple and banana, plus the crushed pecans, were delicious.  The recipe made 24 cupcakes, and we had a tiny bit left over so we made 4 mini ones as well - we wanted to try them before telling everyone how awesome they are.

I'm glad I found the recipe and that I was able to make it.  I want to play with it a little and turn it into a muffin recipe - cut down on the sugar, mainly, and use whole-grain flours.  It's definitely do-able with a little trial and error.  The bananas provided plenty of sweetness, and since I successfully substituted some applesauce in for some of the oil, I think I could take that substitution a little further to cut down on the oil.  I can't wait to give this a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment