Monday, July 27, 2009

Blueberry Sour Cream Muffins


In case you haven't yet noticed, I love muffins. When we went to Whole Foods on Friday I found 32 oz of delicious blueberries for $6 and decided to make a double batch of my favorite (so far) muffin recipe, which you can see here. You are probably wondering how I can eat these every day and not feel bad about it. My conscience doesn't mind because these muffins are mostly whole wheat! Plus, blueberries are SO good for you. How are my muffins so very white and pretty if they are whole wheat? Well, because I use white whole wheat flour, which has a lighter color and consistency than regular whole wheat flour. It's great for baking for that reason. You can also get whole wheat pastry flour which might be better for certain recipes. The recipe calls for a little bit of all-purpose flour also, which I think can be substituted with the white whole wheat flour for a 100% whole wheat muffin, but I love these muffins too much to take the risk of messing them up. As you can see, my muffins are full of berries, and I still only used half of the blueberries making a double batch. One thing I like about this recipe is that the batter will keep for a few days in the refrigerator. If you like freshly baked muffins, you can make this on Sunday and bake a few at a time for the next few days. I am out of muffin papers, so I was only able to make one dozen muffins. Like my other muffins, these freeze very nicely. Just wrap in plastic wrap individually, put them all in a gallon size ziplock bag (I like to label mine with a description and the date), and toss in the freezer. You can have a muffin on the go! If you have to wait 2 hours before eating it, like me, it will defrost itself. If you want it right away, you can just pop it in the toaster oven (or even the microwave) to warm it up like it just came out of the oven. This is an easy recipe and the sour cream makes the muffins really moist and creamy. If you don't freeze them, store them in the refrigerator. It is blueberry season in our area right now and it won't be for long so this is a great way to use them so that you can have some blueberry goodness later in the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment