Thursday, December 15, 2011

Quinoa with Roasted Chanterelles, Apples, and Squash


I have never tried chanterelle mushrooms before, so I thought this pretty quinoa bowl would be a great time to have them.  (Let's please ignore the price tag on these mushrooms - I don't even want to talk about it.)  All the ingredients appealed to me - I don't eat quinoa often enough, and winter squash, apples, and red onions are all super tasty.  Unfortunately, I found this to be just a little bit bland.  I used what I felt was a ton of thyme and just a splash more sherry vinegar than instructed, but it could have used a strong flavor that ties it all together.  If I make (something similar to but less pricey than) this again, I think I'll include some sherry vinegar when roasting the squash and apples.  A squeeze of lemon juice might also elevate the dish a bit.  This has inspired me to try to make up my own quinoa bowls to get more of that protein-packed "grain" into my diet.  If I feel the urge to buy chanterelles again, I want to try the Chanterelle Tacos from Super Natural Every Day.

1 comment:

  1. The beauty of cooking is that you can constantly experiment and improve. I bet lemon would taste great! Have you ever been chanterelle hunting? I just read something where they mentioned mushroom hunting, and it and sounds fun/hard/mysterious. I would definitely buy them at the store.

    ReplyDelete