Monday, February 7, 2011
Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
Chili is the new soup.
I made (and ate) chili for the first time just a few weeks ago - the Confetti Chili, if you recall. It was delicious, but I wanted to try a vegetarian version as well. During Meatless Mondays in December, Georgie posted a Vegetarian Black Bean Chili. She made it using dried beans, but wanted to hear back from someone trying it out with canned beans instead. You can see her recipe here.
I made the following adjustments:
- 3 cups of water instead of 4
- 2 cans of black beans instead of the dried
- 1 tsp salt (because of the canned beans, though I did rinse them)
- 4 tsp regular chili powder instead of 2 Tbsp, which I thought was hot enough but Ken disagreed
- added 1 cup of frozen corn, because it's one of my freezer items needing to be used up.
It came out tasty. Texturally, I think I prefer a mix of meat and beans, but it was good, so I have a bit in the freezer to eat when I don't have quite enough time to make anything. I wish I had made cornbread to go with it, but I just didn't think of it, I guess. I might make this again, but more likely I will make a variation of it to make a chili using up some of what I have to use up from the freezer. If I do make it again, I want to try it with dried beans in the pressure cooker. I've only used my pressure cooker a few times and I want to get more comfortable with using it since it's such a useful tool!