Monday, August 16, 2010

King Arthur Flour 100% Whole Wheat Bread

I got this recipe from the bag of whole wheat King Arthur Flour.  I haven't made bread in a while, as the recipe for Oatmeal Sandwich Bread from Good to the Grain was too crumbly for us.  I wanted to try this one because there is a quote from a customer right on the bag saying how great this bread recipe is.

I was pleased with the texture of this bread.  It was softer and less dry than the other one, had a nice whole wheat flavor, and had soft crust.  The only thing I didn't like about this was the rise - I think it came out too flat and it makes very small sandwiches.  It used instant yeast, which I have not used before (it actually took me months to figure out the difference between instant and active dry yeast, and to locate instant at Shop Rite).  I am thinking about trying to use active dry yeast instead, and use the technique from Good to the Grain, but with the same ingredients as this recipe.  I am also interested in trying the bread with white whole wheat flour, or with different types of flours.  Bread is something you should make your own!  I want to keep experimenting until I find the method and ingredients that work for me.

As I searched online for a link to the recipe I used, I found another bread recipe I would like to try.  Classic 100% Whole Wheat Bread - if this looks anything like the picture in real life, I want it!

No comments:

Post a Comment