Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Apple Pie Oatmeal
The first time I made this... well, it was gross. There was way too much liquid, including 1.5 cups of apple juice, which was just not appetizing at all. I should have listened to my instincts! I tried it again with less liquid and used a small amount of apple cider. It's still a little sweet for my liking, but would be the perfect sweetness for most people.
Apple Pie Oatmeal adapted from Bob's Red Mill CookbookServes 4-6.
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
1 apple (peeled, cored, sliced)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup apple cider
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1. Combine butter and sugar over medium heat, stirring frequently until melted and blended together, about 2 minutes.
2. Add apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and stir until the apples release juice, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the oats, stirring to prevent sticking and help them absorb the juice, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the apple cider and water and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Let it rest with the top on for 2 minutes, then serve topped with the pecans.